Friday, March 16, 2012

The Measurement of Space




Solange’s Trance, What is Nearest to Us and What is Remote From Us

As I floated
I felt no longer steered
but taken as some target
hung naked from an outer sphere—
I cared nothing for
my rotting hair or swollen flesh
as sea-mist splashed my sponge-like skin
pushing me further where I pleased
into perpetual spins and tide-heaves
I absorbed the nearness of turbid waters
and the remoteness of forgotten lands.

Yet the storm woke me with ecstatic contact
and like a floating particle in the moon’s spotlight
eternalizing the cosmic ebb and flow
as nights passed while stars shone;
I bathed in the Play of the
Deranged, tempest-infused churned into black
devouring red glows, entranced in static wreckage
of body forms bent bow backs
a dreaming where drowned men
sometimes goes down,

I found myself
standing on the stage of
The Two Masks
and as I watched my skin glisten white
refracted through rows of
bobbing balls of eyes
I lifted the string of pearls
above my black curled hair
and felt the pull of
unfathomably mysteries haunting
my soul, fragile organisms reflecting
my inherited defects, the many
monsters of my future’s expectation,

there is always silence before the claps,
like crashing waves, sinking in
the sand of humanly relief.

No comments: